Photography course for beginners in Montreal – 3 days
This course is addressed to those who shoot mainly on AUTO but wish to unleash the full potential of their camera.
- You will understand the power locked into your camera in MANUAL mode.
- You will discover what the functions actually do and when it is best to use them.
- You will learn the fundamentals of digital photography
- You will learn some secret professionals tricks
- You will get a handbook with notes on everything that the course covers
Find out what decades of feature development by the manufacturers have in store for you!
Our course is designed to cover all the important topics, which are essential for a beginner. That’s why we schedule at least one lesson at daytime on one lesson after the sunset. In addition, a set of daytime exercises will be repeated in the darkness to learn the difference of handling some essential things.
Every small theoretical block will be followed up with a few simple exercises which help to understand the topic and avoid the typical common mistakes.
The teachers, Polina Fedorova or Varvara Kameneva are professional photographers. Polina is a founder of the school. She works as a photographer for clients like ELLE, VOGUE, VANITY FAIR, and photo editor for several widely distributed Russian magazines(Mir, Afisha…). Polina has been teaching photography in Montreal since 2006. Varvara has been a photographer for 7 years, she studied Visual Communications at Vanier College, as well as completed a diploma in Professional Photography at Concordia University. Varvara has been teaching photography in our school for almost 2 years.
The course consists of three lessons(2 hours each):
- 1st lesson – Learn to control your camera in fully manual mode. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO. Their mutual relation. Using shutter speed to freeze or blur motion. Light meter. Home work : “Capturing Motions”
- 2nd lesson – Evening time. Homework review. Understanding white balance. Basics of long exposure. Introduction to the tools of long exposure photography. Painting with light. Home work: “Setting custom white balance”.
- 3rd lesson – Day time. Types of lenses. Prime vs zoom. Focal length. Aperture and F-stops. Depth of field. Home work: “Using depth of field as a creative tool”.
Alternatively, you can take this course in a form of private lessons. In this case we will schedule your lessons individually, the price will be $70 for 1.5 hour session. Usually we cover the course in 2 sessions.
Duration: 6 hours in total.
Maximum 6 students in a group. Gift certificates available. No age restrictions.
5540 Saint-Patrick, Montreal,QC,Canada, H4E1A8
Digital SLR Camera or Bridge Camera with fully manual controls. Please bring all your lenses and an external flashes if you have one. A tripod will be fine but not mandatory.
Don’t have your own DSLR camera?
There’s no need to worry. You can hire one of ours for $10 per day.
The detailed list of covered topics:
- Camera’s menus and settings
- Essential functions and engineering of camera body and lens
- How to control your exposures by using the camera in fully manual mode
- Shutter speed and shutter priority
- How to capture sport and actions
- Aperture and depth of field, f-stops
- How to control and exploit depth of field
- Aperture priority
- The best way to photograph people, objects and landscapes
- Iso / film speed / digital noise
- How to take a great picture in low light
- How to lock the focus and compose fantastic shots
- White balance, colour temperature, Kelvin, camera’s white balance pre-sets
- Custom white balance
- White balance shift – how to make sure they’re the colours you want them to be
- Manual Focus
- How to use the two essential priority programmes
- P mode, light meter, metering modes
- How to choose your lens, main groups of lenses
- Long exposure
- How to take great images at night.
- Light painting
The schedule is mostly built to have at least one daytime lesson and one evening-time lesson. Studying during daylight and in darkness is an essential part of the beginners course.
If you are not available during the scheduled times, or you are not able to attend one of the sessions, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our groups are small, and we have some level of flexibility.